Sliced eland loin on coconut greens
340g Eland loin (available from speciality butchers)
200g Broccoli, stems and florets, sliced
100g Spinach, sliced
160g Red cabbage, finely sliced
15g Ginger, peeled and grated
2 Garlic cloves, peeled and grated
3g Rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
2ml Cayenne pepper
6ml Ground coriander
200ml Coconut cream
250ml Vegetable stock
Cooking oil and olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Combine the red cabbage, ginger, a drizzle of olive oil and seasoning.
- Evenly sprinkle the cayenne pepper and ground coriander over the eland loins.
- Place a saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add a knob of butter and a drizzle of olive oil. When hot, add the broccoli, spinach, rosemary and garlic. Cook until the greens have softened, but are still crunchy, about 2-4 minutes. Add the stock powder, 250ml boiling water and the coconut cream. Simmer for 1-3 minutes until heated through and the quantity of your liquid seems right for serving. Season to taste.
- Add a dash of water to extend the soup if needed, or turn up the heat if you would like to reduce the soup further.
- In the meantime, place a further pan over a medium-high heat with a drizzle of cooking oil. When hot, cook the eland loins until golden on all sides, shifting the meat as it colours (about 4-6 minutes). Remove the meat from the pan, season well and set aside to rest for 1 minute before slicing it up finely.
- Dish up your coconut greens into bowls, top with the red cabbage slaw and then top off with the sliced eland.