Coconut, ginger and poached chicken salad
2 Chicken breasts
200ml Coconut milk
½ Lemon, juiced
5ml Fish sauce
2 Garlic cloves
20g Coconut flakes
60g Baby spinach leaves
140g Cucumber, diced
140g Baby tomatoes, quartered
60g Sugar snap peas, roughly sliced
10g Coriander, roughly chopped
2 Spring onions
Cooking oil or coconut oil
Salt and pepper
- Slice spring onion.
- Place a pot (that has a lid) over a low-medium heat. Add a drizzle of cooking oil and spring onion. Cook it until it starts to turn golden, about 3-5 minutes. Remove the spring onion.
- Peel and slice the ginger and garlic. Place in pot along with the coconut milk, water, fish sauce, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt. Bring to a simmer. When simmering, add the chicken breasts, pop the lid on and poach the chicken until cooked through, 10-15 minutes. Check on it every so often, adding more water if the sauce dries up. Remove the chicken from the pot (slice into it to check It is cooked through), and set aside.
- Assess the coconut sauce/salad dressing. If it needs to be thickened, return it to the heat for a few minutes. However if it is the right consistency, pour it into a bowl to cool for a bit. Season to taste. Prep the remaining ingredients as listed.
- Plate up the baby spinach, watercress, cucumber, baby tomatoes and sugar snap peas.
- Slice up the chicken breast and add to plated salad. Drizzle over the salad dressing, scatter over the spring onion, coconut flakes and coriander.