Carrot “falafel” lettuce cups
200ml falafel mix
2 carrots, grated
120g butter lettuce cups
2 onions, finely sliced
100g feta , crumbled
5g coriander, leaves chopped
Salt and pepper
2T balsamic vinegar
2T olive oil
- Place a pan or pot with lid on a medium heat. Add drizzle of olive oil, knob of butter and onion. Season well and stir to coat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding a drizzle of water when required. After 5 minutes, add balsamic vinegar, turn down the heat to low and allow the onions to caramelise with the lid on (12-15 minutes).
- Combine grated carrot and falafel mix. Beat eggs and add along with seasoning. Stir well to combine. Form mixture into 2 large or 3 smaller patties. Each patty should be about 0,5-1cm thick for maximum crispiness.
- In pan on medium heat, add enough cooking oil to cover the base by about 2-3mm high. When hot, add your carrot falafels and fry for about 3-4 minutes per side. The outside should be dark golden and crispy around the edges. When they are done, set aside on kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
- For the guacamole, combine the avocado, a squeeze of lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mash it up until well combined and season further to taste.
- To serve, ready your lettuce cups with spread of guacamole. Place crispy carrot falafel patties on top, then add a spoon of onion, a crumbling of feta and finally, sprinkle over your chopped coriander.