Sliced eland loin on coconut greens
Easy-to-make delicious and healthy 20-minute meal: This South African-inspired Sliced Eland Loin on Coconut Greens is a delicious and healthy meal packed with flavour and nutrients.
250ml vegetable stock
160g red cabbage, finely sliced
15g ginger, peeled and grated
Cooking oil and olive oil
Salt and pepper
2ml cayenne pepper
6ml ground coriander
340g eland loin
200g broccoli, sliced
100g spinach, sliced
4g rosemary leaves, picked and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
200ml coconut cream
- Dilute stock granules with boiled water.
- In a bowl, mix together the slices of red cabbage, ginger, a drizzle of olive oil and seasoning. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the spice mix (cayenne pepper and ground coriander) over the eland loins on both sides. Mop up all of the spices with the moisture of the loin until well coated. Set aside.
- Place a saucepan over low-medium heat. Add a knob of butter and drizzle of olive oil. When hot, add the broccoli, spinach, rosemary and garlic. Cook until the greens have softened, but are still crunchy; about 2-4 minutes. Shift the ingredients quite frequently.
- Add the stock and coconut cream and simmer for 1-3 minutes until heated through and the soup liquid quantity seems right for your serving. Season. Chef’s tip: Add a dash of water to extend the soup if needed, or turn up the heat if you would like to reduce the soup further.
- Place a further pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of cooking oil. When hot, cook the eland loins for 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Remove from the pan, season well and set aside to rest for 1 minute before slicing up finely. When cooking game meat, the heat must be high and the cooking time less than usual. This keeps the flesh of the meat soft and tasty.
- Dish up your soup in bowls, top with the red cabbage slaw and then with the slices of eland.
See more recipes for healthy 20-minute meals here.