Meatballs with couscous
A delicious and easy meal that‘s ready in no time! This 20–minute meal recipe for meatballs with couscous is perfect for busy weeknights. Made with lean ground beef, onion, garlic, and herbs, these savoury meatballs are sure to please the whole family.
300g lean mince
2 small onions, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
60g dried apricots, halved
10ml ras el hanout (Moroccan spice*)
2 large Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
30g toasted flaked almonds
8g coriander, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
* if you don’t have the ras el hanout, make your own by mixing ground paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg.
- Mix the mince and half your diced onions together in a bowl and season the mixture well with salt and pepper.
- Roll into palm-sized meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan, then fry the meatballs for 10 minutes, turning occasionally until cooked through. Scoop out of the pan and set aside.
- Put the dried apricots, garlic, ras el hanout, the remaining onions, tomatoes and a splash of water into the same pan, season with salt and pepper then bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the couscous on the stove and just cover it with water. Bring to a boil in a saucepan. Add a little salt to the water and a little olive oil to add moisture. Once boiling, turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes
- Return the meatballs to the pan and coat well with the tomato sauce. Serve sprinkled with almonds and serve with coriander and couscous.
See more recipes for 20-minute meals here.