Make the most of family time by preparing hot home-cooked meals that are deeply satisfying and don’t require much preparation time.
Whether for solo meal planning or cooking for family, each of the recipes below is packed with flavour and can be prepared in 20 minutes.
Vegan Coconut Chickpea Curry
- 2 tsp of olive or avocado oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 diced bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized marrow (zucchini)
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1 ½ cups of coconut milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- Heat oil and spices in a large saucepan over medium to high temperature.
- Braise onions, pepper and zucchini until brown and then add chickpeas, coconut milk, broth and bring to a simmer while stirring.
- Allow vegetables to simmer on low heat for 4 to 6 minutes before adding spinach.
- Serve with precooked brown or white rice.
Creamy Chicken a la King
- 1 tbsp cooking oil or butter (extra creamy)
- 1 medium chopped red bell pepper
- 1 ½ cups of cubed chicken
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- 500g sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup of milk
To speed up preparation time, buy cream of mushroom soup and add ½ cup of milk or make your own cream of mushroom soup by adding the following ingredients to your recipe:
- ¼ cup of chopped onion
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cans of chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup of cream
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the red pepper and cook until tender.
- Stir in the mushroom soup, milk, chicken and peas until the chicken is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve atop precooked rice.
Skinny Beef Stroganoff
- 650g steak strips
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large thinly sliced onion
- 250g of sliced mushrooms
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 ½ cups of beef stock
- ¼ cup of Greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup of cream
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium to high heat and add the steak. Cook the steak until brown on all sides. Transfer the steak to a bowl and set aside.
- Add onions to the same saucepan and cook until the onions have softened, then add mushrooms.
- Once the onions are brown, add the garlic and beef stock, and bring to a boil.
- Return the steak to the pan. Stir in the yoghurt and cream. Bring the sauce to a boil and turn the heat to low.
- Allow simmering until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately over noodles or rice.
Bookmark this page to return to this recipe and share it with a family member who will enjoy making it too.